4 Healthy, Holistic Nutrition Tips From Big Hit Coach Karina
At Big Hit Studios we prides ourselves on all of our trainers and their diversity! Each and every single coach has a unique approach to health and fitness and a ton of information that they’ve acquired through their years in the industry. So today we’ve asked coach Karina to share some of her nutrition tips with us.
With a keen interest in nourishing herself from the inside-out, Karina is our go-to-girl for all things nutrition. In particular, Karina enjoys learning about holistic nutrition and how she can keep herself healthy the natural way. So here are four nutrition tips from Karina and one of her favourite, easy-to-follow recipes.
Start Your Mornings With Lemon Water
Karina knows the importance of starting your day off the right way and what better way to do that then with a cleansing drink. She suggests squeezing a quarter of a lemon into a glass of warm water and adding a dash of cayenne pepper to really rev your metabolism up for the day. As an added bonus, both cayenne and lemon are detoxifying and immune-boosting. Cayenne pepper also helps to regulate your blood sugar levels, which helps to control those pesky cravings for sweets.
Take Omega 3’s & Probiotics Together
While many people may already know about the health benefits of Omega 3’s and probiotics, Karina says that taking the two supplements together actually provides you with more benefits.
When taken alone, Omega 3’s help with heart health, inflammation, healthy skin, immunity among other conditions. Likewise, probiotics are also a supplement powerhouse that aid in regulating bowel movements, keeping your digestive tract healthy, boosting your immunity, to name a few. Yet, when you take the two supplements together they can actually strengthen each other’s effect in the body. Probiotics can increase the absorption of the Omega 3’s in your body, while Omega 3’s aid the stickiness of probiotics to the intestinal walls thus making them more effective.
Substitute Whey With Vegan Protein
Karina reveals that she loves to do two cleanses a year that allow her to reset her body for a fresh start. She generally performs a cleanse at the start of the year and one at the start of the summer that see her cutting out gluten and dairy, and eating lean protein, lots of greens and good carbs.
Being someone who works out a lot, she still loves to add protein powder to her smoothies. Although a lot of the protein powders have whey (dairy) in them, Karina was fortunate to discover a vegan substitute she loves: Sun Warrior Protein. This protein powder is a great vegan alternative and a lot cleaner than some of the other protein powders on the market. Karina says that she frequently uses Sun Warrior Protein in her smoothies and in her baking.
Banana & Almond Butter Snack
For a quick, delicious and nutritious snack, Karina opts for a banana with some organic almond butter. Bananas are a great source of potassium, vitamins B and C. While almond butter is filled with healthy fat and vitamin E that will keep you fuller for longer and curb cravings.
Karina’s Protein Pancake Recipe
Karina is a big fan of protein pancakes and shared one of her favourite recipes with us. These pancakes are an excellent way to start the day and take less than 10 minutes to make!
- 2 scoops Chocolate Protein (Sun Warrior brand or New Zealand Whey)
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free baking mix (gluten-free is optional)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 banana
- 4 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil (or another oil of your choice to grease the pan)
- In a small bowl lightly beat two whole eggs.
- In a separate bowl, combine protein powder, baking mix, flax seeds, baking powder, banana and almond milk. Add the lightly beaten eggs and mix everything together. (You can also throw everything into a blender and pulse until it’s a smooth consistency.)
- Heat a griddle or fry-pan over medium-high heat and add enough coconut oil to lightly grease the pan.
- Once the oil is hot, pour two tablespoons of pancake mixture onto the pan. Cook for 2-4 minutes or until the edges harden.
- Flip with a spatula and cook the other side for 2-4 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining pancake mixture.
- Serve on their own or with some greek yoghurt, berries, honey etc. Enjoy!
If you have any questions about nutrition, feel free to ask Karina or any of Big Hit’s coaches. We love chatting fitness and food!
If you’re interested in nutrition coaching, our transformation program might be for you! You’ll work with our coaches and nutritionists to develop a customized meal plan and schedule, receive two private cooking sessions, 12 pad/fitness training sessions and more! Ask us about our transformation program today.